Terrin Liwag

South House

Topic: Pediatrics

EQ: What is the best way to be a successful pediatrician?

Monday, April 30, 2012

Blog 25: Service Learning


Literal
Log of specific hours: here

Dr. Amjad Mafoud
Dr. Janet Fermin
626-335-0211

San Dimas Hospital 
Kathleen Rivera
Volunteer Coordinator
909-599-6811 

Interpretive
What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?

The most important thing I gained from this experience was knowing what I will be doing once I am a doctor. I had such cliche ideas of what life was like in a lab coat and I thought I'd be like Dr. House or...someone from Greys Anatomy. Shadowing gave me a more realistic perspective of what it is like. For example I never thought of dealing with parents as a pediatrician or being on call even though I dont work in a hospital. So service learning has prepared me much better for my future career.


Applied
How did what you did help you answer your EQ?  Please explain.

The best thing I gained from service learning was my first answer to my EQ. I woudn't have known about preventative medicine if I didn't see it live every time I watched the pediatricians during patient visits. I was able to go talk to them every week to help strengthen my answer and get sources from their old medical journals to read. My interviews were also with my service learning mentors and if I didn't shadow them I'd probably not have interviewed them.


No comments:

Post a Comment