Terrin Liwag

South House

Topic: Pediatrics

EQ: What is the best way to be a successful pediatrician?

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Blog 24: Independent Component



Log: Click here.

Evidence: 


Precalculus book and Saylor homework


Literal
(a)“I, Terrin Liwag, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.” 

(b) I have completed 30 hours of work by in the Maternity Department at San Dimas Community Hospital. I get to answer phones, the patient call, and greet people at the door. I'm also pretty good at fixing patient charts for the nurses, making copies (even double-sided (;) and running specimens to the lab. While shadowing at Glendora Pediatrics, I usually get in at two in the afternoon every other week and go in the rooms with the pediatrician. I watch how he or she treats each patient and write down observations. I have the opportunity to ask questions and do informal interviews when there are no patients present. When both doctors are busy, I file charts. I leave around five. 

I've also just started a new project for my independent component that will replace the 30 hours I've already done and this has been approved by Melogno. I will be doing open course work by a website called Saylor.org for precalculus in order to prepare for the placement exam. This is part of independent component because if I get into calculus, Im three units further to getting into medical school.

Interpretive

For my independent component, I've learned what it is like to work in a medical environment by exposing myself through volunteer work. I've demonstrated thirty hours of work by continuously going to both clinics two to three times a week. The significance of my work would be what I've learned to do at the hospital and what I have learned through watching the two pediatricians. Whist shadowing, I've familiarized myself with the usual procedure that is conducted when I child is sick e.g. asking about medical history, checking the ears, nose, throat, heart rate, etc.

Through the self study component, I've learned what it is like to time manage because nothing is really due until I make it due. There is so much more freedom which I've heard is similar to the way college is set up where professors don't care if you do the homework, as long as you pass the final. 

Applied

I feel this component has helped me answer my EQ because I get to actually see what it is like working as a pediatrician since I shadow two. When I'm over at San Dimas, I get the opportunity to work in the nurses station so not only do I get the physician experience, but the nurse experience as well. One of my answers is to use preventative medicine and I was able to obtain that answer through my independent component.


No comments:

Post a Comment